Saturday, March 7, 2009

Armagh, Ireland

March 17 is always one of my favorite days. Not only is it a chance to embrace being of Irish heritage, but it was also my Irish grandmother's birthday. She came to America in 1925 on the Canopic, a sister ship of the Titanic, when she was just two years old. In researching some genealogy, I found some paperwork on my grandmother and her parents, and that they were from Armagh. Of course, I had to research Armagh! It's a beautiful city, and where St Patrick founded his cathedral in 457.

We still have quite a bit of family out there and my dad and stepmom were able to go and visit with them a few years back. These are some of the photos that dad took of St Patrick's church.





There is also an Observatory there. I've been watching some videos on Armagh and I could probably spend weeks there, just in the Observatory and orrery, not to mention the churches.

6 comments:

Grace2882 said...

Oh what beautiful pictures. I am jealous. Ireland is one place that I want to go to some day.

Uneekdolldesigns said...

What a beautiful country! I would love to visit Ireland!!

ani hearts japan said...

That is a gorgeous church! I would love to spend several weeks exploring Ireland! TFS!

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, right now my jaw is nearly resting on the table. How incredibly cool is it that your Grandmother's parents came from Armagh! St. Patrick's church is beautiful. Nearly every day hubby and I talk about the day the kids are grown and gone how we're going to just vacation in Ireland for weeks, a month! Buy a home in Ireland maybe? Ha. Big dreams.

Sarah said...

What gorgeous pictures! I *so* want to visit Ireland someday. My maternal grandfathers grandmother came from County Downs, Ireland in the 1860's so I can claim a bit of Irish blood. :) I love St. Patrick's Day - it is one of my favorite holidays!

glitzen said...

OH, I miss Europe! I loved England so much, and some of your pics look like that. The flowers, the cathedrals, ahhhhhh. Love it all.
What a fantastic story about your grandmother. My mom does research on our family, she has found some amazing stories and documents!