Thursday, January 22, 2009

Weird Things People Do on Frozen Lakes




I am not a native Minnesotan. Therefore, seeing tiny little house scattered all over frozen lakes and people DRIVING on the lakes still cracks me up. They are ice fishermen. Possibly fisherwomen as well. Every winter, when the lakes freeze solid enough, people build little houses around the holes they fish in.

Me, I'm a big winter wimp. There, I said it. As much as I love the North and tolerate the cold, I am not a big fan of winter sports! Reading books and playing games and watching movies, those I am a big fan of!

And with my run of strange luck, I would probably fall through the ice on the coldest day (when it's least likely to happen) and get attacked by some strange Southern fish that's lost.

This is White Bear Lake last week, after the weather warmed up 40 degrees, from -20 to 20. The trail of houses goes as far as the eye can see across the lake.

I don't know, maybe I should put it on my life long list of things to do, just to say 'I lived in Minnesota and I went ice fishing'. Maybe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a winter whimp too. I am also not a fisherman or fisherwoman either. I prefer to get my fish at the store already clean and prepared for me. :)

Covered In Crafts said...

that would freak me out. I'm from CA but I live in AR now. I went up to MI for a while in the winter and I was shocked at the things people do. I'm a scared cat!

Mom to 4C boys said...

I have been ice fishing once and it is just too darn cold to sit out there. And way too much work to get through that ice. Nope, not for me!

Anonymous said...

I've ice fished. I'm not proud of it. My dad dragged me out on the ice... We didn't have a little house but we did use an auger to drill through the ice.

We also built a fire *on* the ice (hmm, might have been a hibachi) and used melted ice from the hole to make coffee. It was gritty.

Pam said...

Ew, lol. Gritty ice coffee! I also think the fires on ice are very funny.

Wendy said...

I wouldn't say I'm a winter wimp but I just can't get my head around driving around on a frozen lake. I'm staying inside with you and the hot cocoa!

donna said...

I'm like you, I love the idea of it but it would freak me out too much. Especially skating on a frozen lake. EEEEEK! lol