Friday, December 5, 2008

Wabasha Street Caves


One of my favorite places to drive is in Lilydale. It has a teeny population and really, it's hard to differentiate between it and St Paul. It's down by Harriet Island towards the West End. It reminds me of my hometown, Hazleton, PA with it's mountain like view and it's traces of industry.

The first two photos in the collage are in Lilydale. I had turned around and was coming back towards downtown St Paul. The bluff is on my right and the city is on my left. The third photo was taken about half a mile up the street, from Harriet Park, and is of the St Paul skyline.


This area has a rich history. Especially for gangsters:).


I have yet to take a tour. There's a lot of info at http://www.wabashastreetcaves.com for the different tours they do of the caves. I had passed by the actual cave a number of times and not seen it, I finally happened upon it last week. There's a great little coffee shop called Grumpy Steve's with the best mixed coffee drinks ever. Yum. They also sell a number of locally crafted hand made items as well. And books on St Paul. I could probably spend all day in there. It's not out of the realm of possibility!

Also, I just wanted to post a link to Princess Lasertron's shop. I just did a custom item with her and it turned out beautifully and so well made. She's a lot of fun to work with! I was going to do a whole big post (probably still will!) with the giftee but life has been very busy. Her pins and flowers make great gifts and there is still time before Christmas to buy from her shop!!! She has a very fun blog here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's really interesting! I want to go to the coffee shop - it's cold here today in NY. :-P Also, we don't really have "bluffs" here in NY, so that's kinda cool too! :-)

Pam said...

LOL!! I thought it was really flat out here when I moved here. It's not:). There's a whole section of the city called Dayton's Bluff. It's a cool part of town.

Wendy said...

This is cool! Hey, I nearly flipped when you mentioned St. Paul... my mother just found an old diary of her grandmother's and she lived in that area when she was keeping the journal. It's a very tiny little thing, but neat to flip through.

I'm in the process of transcribing it, but it's slow going. (It's at my old web site that I'm migrating over to the new site, but here is the link at the old site if you want to go look. You might recognize some of the landmarks she mentions: The Diary of Margaret Teller

The Lone Beader® said...

This area is known for gangsters! I want to hear more about that! :D

Also, thanks for your kind comment on my blog! :D

Pam said...

Wendy, wow!! That is amazing! I do recognize almost all of the cities and loved the history on the schools and hospitals, etc. I'm a big WWI buff too so it was really neat to read about it from her perspective!

Lonebeader, more on the gangsters soon!!