Wednesday, November 19, 2008

F Scott Fitzgerald's CCBB St Paul Home (P #3) and McQuillan history

I found his home! I did not take photos of it since it's residential. And there were people out.

It's in a beautiful part of town, though, and is a beautiful Victorian home, painted yellow with interesting architectural elements.

I'm reading my copy of 'F Scott Fitzgerald in MN/ His Homes and Haunts' which is 30 years old and there is a segment in the introduction that talks about the areas in which he spent time and how preserved they are. It is still that way.

Being the nosy person that I am, I noticed that there was a house directly behind the Goodrich Ave home (where BB was written) for sale, so I was trying to find it. Which I haven't. But I found this beauty, built in 1887, on the same street that FSF lived a few times 775 Holly Ave. I have not been on Holly (that I know of, or at least, deliberately!) but the house on 509 Holly Ave was also built in 1887 (if it's still there, which I would think it would be).

I did end up finding the street where Philip McQuillan (his uncle) lived. FSF's maternal grandfather was a rags to riches Irish immigrant story. Unfortunately, the first house he built was ulitmately destroyed by the building of Interstate 94. What's interesting to me about this is that as far as I know, all McQuillans and derivatives of that name are related. My family dropped the 'Mc' and I am fairly certain that our branch is descended from Teague McQuillen who came to America in 1635. *eta* Teague dropped the 'Mac' before sailing to America.

Roderick Og MacQuillan was the final Lord of the Route (between Ireland and Scotland) and made residence in Castle Dunluce. It is unclear what his and Teague's relationship was as there would have been an 80 year gap in their ages, but Roderick did have a son, Richard, who settled in Bainbridge . The MacQuillans had had this title (and home) for almost 200 years before it was lost to Sorley Boy MacDonnell in 1586 and had had the land for 12 centuries.

So I surmise, that our families were distantly related:).

1 comment:

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Oh what fun! I have several Fitzgerald books in my big library collection...I love looking at interesting history bits, and finding out more about interesting characters form the past!