Monday, August 25, 2008

Six Days till the Republican National Convention!

Saturday night, as we were returning home from a wonderful dinner at the Wild Onion on Grand for our TENTH wedding anniversary, we passed the Excel Center. New banners have been hung on the outside of the building. A blue Republican one (which was REALLY weird to see!) and a red one, then another sign in the middle that I don't remember. My baby had called, missing us, so I didn't get too good of a look at it.

We noticed yesterday that there's been some work out in Maple Grove and Albertville as well. Lots of grass being mowed, lots of sneezes being sneezed!

Today, I thought it was a fluke that I noticed one block had freshly trimmed branches. Then I noticed some more in a completely different part of town! It would be quite unfortunate if we had a late season tornado/severe thunderstorm with loose branches around and political heavies!

We saw quite a few Xcel trucks as well, I suppose some last minute wiring fixes, make sure everything is running well. And a handful of Comcast trucks as well, I suppose that phone, Internet and Cable are just as important!

Businesses have fresh paint and are watering their lawns. It's kind of nice to have everything so shiny and nice looking!

Speaking of businesses, if anyone coming here has a chance for some delicious homemade candy, they should go to Custom Chocolates in Roseville. Just hop on 35EN from downtown St Paul to 36 W and take Lexington Ave. Turn left on Lexington and head straight towards Larpenteur St. Turn right and it's in the Lexington Plaza Shopping Square. LP also has a yummy yummy malt shop called Snuffy's and the fabulous Roseville Bakery. At Custom Chocolates, you can buy nominees on a stick: Barack, Mc Cain and Paris Hilton as yummy chocolate lollipops:). LOL!

We'll be heading to the State Fair soon, so I thought I'd post some 'day before it opened' pics. I'm so fascinated by the preparation of things, almost more interesting than the actual event!






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that sometimes the preparations for such events are much more interesting than the events themselves.

glitzen said...

you are so lucky, i think that would be incredibly exciting to be there during the convention. keep us posted!

Putabuttononit

Brandy said...

How exciting to have a convention like that in your own backyard!!

Enjoy the fair!

muirwoodsue said...

Very exciting stuff in your neighborhood. Plus the State Fair. Lots of food on a stick!
Sue

Tricia said...

Have fun at the state fair & make sure to have a deep fried twinkie for me ;-)

Laura said...

This time of year is so much fun, especially the State Fairs. Have a great time!