I have another post I've been writing in my head for some time, but I need to watch a movie concerning it before I write it on here.
So, instead, a few of my small adventures.
I was able to drive around Summit Ave in St Paul late one night. The beauty and the grandeur of the old houses is almost breathtaking. They seem imposing and expensive, even now. They loom over the city, right behind the gorgeous St Paul Cathedral.
Just a few streets over (where Fitzgerald grew up), the houses seem like they belong in a different world. They are modest, though still lovely. I noticed one street still had cobblestones in it, something I'd like to see and photograph in the daytime. It's interesting to me that St Paul is still divided into classes by neighborhood, that not much has changed since her beginnings.
Fitzgerald struggled with class issues quite a bit. Wanting so much to be at the top and never quite being there, he spent most of his life dealing with those feelings.
No comments:
Post a Comment