Monday, November 10, 2008

The Ancestral Good

I was reading Krystyna81's blog about artistic inheritance and wanted to share some of my family's on here.

My dad is an amazing photographer. I don't know if he has ever taken classes, but I know he reads quite a bit. One can do anything with books! One of his parents was also a big snapshot photographer, but I'm not sure which one. They were military and spent quite a few years in Germany. Lots of interesting photos of their travels.

My paternal grandmother was a scrapbooker, saving little bits and pieces, photos, newspaper clippings and putting them in albums. She loved stickers and cards too. And I believe this is where I get my love of paper from!

His paternal side have been in America almost since the beginning. They have typically been farmers and I think that is a very crafty way to live. To coax life from the ground to survive is so beautiful. I am not very good with plants at all, which saddens me.

His maternal side is from Armagh, Ireland, which is also where St Patrick built St Patrick's Cathedral and is the center of the Church of Ireland. It is known for the monks that resided and their beautiful calligraphy talent, similar to the work in the illuminated manuscripts of the Book of Kells.

My mother was very crafty. She made us some clothing when we were little, mostly skirts, either sewn or crocheted. She. Loved. Glitter. :) There was always some kind of crafty project going on. She was also a very gifted poet. I cherish her poems.

Her family was very gifted musically.Her father, I believe, could play almost any instrument by ear. From my research, the Lipka Tatars were very artistic and forward thinking, especially in regards to women and education. They were a nomadic people, moving from Turkey to the Balkans. I have visions of lively camps set up with music and dancing and beautiful/useful things being crafted.

My sister is a very gifted writer and crafter as well.

I love hearing genealogical stories as well, please feel free to share here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! It is amazing to think about all of our family members who have influenced our art in one way or another!