Friday, September 26, 2008

Halloween Inspiration via wacky videos on Youtube

I've been working on an alchemy lately. I'm finding rock n roll vintage clothes for a teen girl on the smaller size who has trouble finding clothes. So. Much. Fun.

My boys are now 8 and 5 and we have always dressed up for Halloween. They have rarely worn commercial costumes, I love the creativity, challenge and THRIFT of making my own. One of my favorites was my eldest when he was 2. He was Oscar the Grouch IN the trash can:). He had a super cute fleece with Oscar on it, paired with a pair of gray sweat pants. Easy peasy.

MMC's Little Shop of Horrors One of my favorite performances from this show. I think this is Season 3. It's WELL before Britney, Christina, Justin and Ryan showed up and I think the season or so before JC, Keri and Tony showed up. It's all fuzzy now. Love love love these costumes and the makeup. So easy, especially if you use thrift store items. And I think red, black, and white and polka dots are going to be making it big agains soon. If not already.
And this song would describe an unhealthy Enneagram 6, you know, like Nixon:).

Slight detour, but it's because of MMC that I got into this band:
PC Quest's After the Summer's Gone...not an obvious connection, but Chase Hampton was friends with the Petree brothers when they were all really little in OK and running the talent show scene. Cute! Kim had great early 90's girl style. They did a lot of denim. A lot of denim. LOL.
This is a somewhat unhealthy 4 song:). 'I miss you even though you're sitting right there.'

Of course...time goes on and then you grow up and cut off the mullet and make friends with a guy named Jeremy Dawson and start Cloud2Ground. Then somehow you end up starting this band and writing up the followup to that song here:
Shiny Toy Gun's Rainy Monday.
In the Halloween sense, you can never go wrong with all black;). This is a very very unhealthy 4 song, lol.

Which brings us to the song that inspired this thread:
Shiny Toy Guns House of Spooks There used to be a better version of this, but I can't find it. LOL. Aw...bananas.


Dakoda Motor Co's Trip to Rain
I have always adored Davia's style. She's the epitome of modest alt surfer girl . I want to say this is 95...And I *think* Steve Taylor directed this, I know the 'angels' are Jimmy A's (Abbegg - and what happened to him???) little girls.
And it's a bit of an unhealthy 4 song, we do like that pain!

Five Iron Frenzy's A Flowery Song
Love this song, love this band, love this video. It's full of all sorts of costumes. And it has the Doxology. It's the only song I've ever been in a mosh pit to. Back when they toured with a giant inflatable gorilla. And I don't know if's cause I kept seeing them at Halloween or if they did this all the time, but they'd dress up and throw candy in the crowd. Of course, that was before the Cornerstone 'someone lost an eye due to a thrown cd' incident...

Starflyer 59's Housewife Love Song Creepy video....but again, Julie (Musali) Martin was one of my favorite fashion people. Random fact: she does a BEAUTIFUL version of Moon River on the first Havalina Rail Co cd. Cause she used to be in HRC. Then she married SF59 (Jason, but it's always him, even if no one else plays, lol) and they became Bon Voyage. SF59's lyrics are usually vague but the video is the perfect example of an unhealthy One. 92 or 93, I believe.

And you can't have SF59 without Joy Electric (Children of the Lord). Well, you *could* but then you couldn't say Martin Brothers and that would leave out at least 2 or 3 entire bands (Rainbow Children anyone???) On the COTL is a version of the song remixed by Cloud2Ground. It's fun, very industrial.
JE Mononsynth
JE Burgundy Years

Shine by the Newsboys Another Steve Taylor production. I think this is when Taylor started collaborating with them as well. You can usually tell a Taylor written Newsboy song by the um oddness to it, lol. They weren't that weird before he showed up!
Bannerman by Steve Taylor, and We Don't Need No Color Code just for fun. Bannerman was his big comeback in 93. I owe him a lot of fun times and good friends and maybe some cheese. Between Color Code, Baby Doe, Lifeboat...I say...STEVE TAYLOR FOR PRESIDENT!

***And I just found Cash Cow : A Rock Opera by Steve Taylor...*** Who loves ya baby, who gives you good credit, who says you'll regret it???? CASH COW! <<<---lyrics

Starflyer 59 covers S Taylor's Sin for a Season...



Original video for Flood by Jars of Clay
...I didn't think I'd find this! They changed the video but I love this one the best. I like the haunted house feel of it. And ILOVED Dan's sweater, spent forever trying to find a big cream colored fisherman's sweater like it. Never found one and I need delicate knits to you know, minimize things...It always threw me off seeing him without long hair too. And for kicks and giggles and more costume ideas: John Jonethis does Flood...it's loungey baby...

Sixpence None the Richer Angel Tread...smashing things is fun. I totally forgot about the bags/boxes masks too. *turns computer so kids don't get any brilliant ideas* Band with some of the worst label troubles EVER! They ended up on Steve Taylor's label Squinterland which did not do well. Which is really kind of sad.

Catscratch Theme Song I heard this one day and thought 'hmmm, I like that song, I better watch the credits'. Nearly fell on the floor when I saw it was one my all time favorites, Terry Scott Taylor. Yes, there are a lot of really famous, awesome, weird Taylors in my music world. I don't remember if it was *his* label, but like the label squint, there was an awesome record label named after one of his songs: Alarma. And there was this sweet little seattle band that he heard and decided to help who started out on alarma: poor old lu. Who got their name from CS Lewis. As did Sixpence None The Richer.

Mexico by the Lost Dogs
I was there at that show! Way up on the top of the hill. Almost 18 and being hit on profusely by a 15 year old. So I saw my friend and ran off and she was talking to her friend Christian. Who was in Ghoti Hook. And that's how I met Ghoti Hook at the Lost Dog show at Cornerstone 1996. Still one of my favorite concerts, I knew every song...bittersweet now without sweet Gene. Terry Taylor is wearing a hat and sunglasses, Gene is the bleached blond. He passed of a brain clot in March of 00 at the age of 39. River on Fire : Adam Again (Gene's band). One of my favorite AA/4 songs...'you could be happy, I could be miserable, I'll grab a metaphor out of the air...'

Haha great face paint here, wasn't expecting to find this. And great song.
Mike Knott : Kitty Courtesy
I used to sing this to my kids with just a twist of the lyrics.
*Insert son's full name, repeat*
Won't you show me...what's in your pants...
I'm getting dry heaves, coming down the hallway,
smells kind of stinky...stop that pooping, kid...
Grace by Knott
'Grace falls free...But I feel the need to work the loom...Your grace falls free...'

And for fun...Randy Scouse Git by the Monkees...



2 comments:

glitzen said...

Wow, I cannot believe you talked about Steve Taylor! I used to listen to Lifeboat, baby doe, Meltdown, etc. He is quirky, huh? Love it!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, Starflyer 59! i haven't listened to SF in ages.

the very first song that played after my first kiss with dh was SF's "Fell in Love at 22" and i still get goosebumps when i hear that song :)

i found it on youtube, but it's a personal video of another couple. i fav'd it anyway ;)